Monday, May 26, 2008

Is there anybody in there?

Good question. I never thought I would be sitting alone at my computer on a Monday night questioning my life, but here I am. What do I do? What have I done? Does any of it have any meaning? I've always felt that the meaning of life was to be remembered, if not by all, by just a few. If you can be remembered for a hundred years, you've done it.

But wait. There are what? 6 billion people in the world? Who can remember all of them? I can't even remember the names of all the people in my Biology class. Who will remember me when I'm dead and gone? Probably my kids, my friends, my wife... maybe grandchildren will vaguely recall what I looked like. What if I died tomorrow? Who would remember me then? Maybe about 100-200 people total, but I would fade from 90% of their minds within a month or two. One face in millions that just happened to disappear too soon.

Maybe the meaning of life is not to be remembered. If that were so, there would be trillions of biographies floating around the world. Maybe I'm just afraid of being forgotten. Who am I to be remembered? I'm just another musician trying to make some scratch on the world. There's no point. Fuck, I'm sure between Beethoven, Miles Davis, The Beatles, and Radiohead everything that needed to be said has been said.

Maybe the meaning of life is to be forgotten. Maybe if enough of us are forgotten the ones that should be remembered will be. Maybe I'm among the forgotten.

No comments: