Saturday, May 31, 2008

The myth of creativity

Do you ever have moments where you feel like a creative genius? I do, but the strange thing is that generally I don't feel that creative. Yet, there is an oxymoron in that adjective. Is the definition of creative not something pertaining to an original work? Something created? Wouldn't anyone who created anything, genius or not, be considered creative?

I don' like that use of the word though. I'd prefer to be creative in a more positive manner than in the other manner.

Some of you (no one?) might ask: Travis, what is provoking these deep, deep ruminations? Well, I'm glad you asked. Tonight at 10:00 p.m., work on The Mattresses album recommenced with work on a song titled Insomniacs Dream in Monochrome. Several strange things were associated with this recording session. First and foremost was simply the hour of recording. The session took place from 10-midnight and was quite relaxing (Parliament break around 11). Only the base track of Insomniacs was recorded, but that is not bad at all considering the second strange incident. The really strange thing was that the song is 6 minutes long... I thought the song was around 4 minutes, maybe 5 tops. But 6 minutes? I suppose it's good that it doesn't feel that long.

I think the album may be longer than I originally intended, but that's okay. As long as it flows nicely, I don't really care too much about the length. Although less than 50 minutes would be preferable (really not sure how likely that is). Anyway, it wasn't the recording that felt creative, that was more relaxing. It was my mixing and editing that made me feel artistically creative, and I must say feeling that way is pleasant.

Better than feeling any other way, I might say.

1 comment:

Leemans said...

excellent. I conclude with the fact that you are just more intelligible than I.