Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Transit of Earth

So I feel bad about not posting as much as I used to, but there are two main reasons for this:

1. School has begun and takes up the majority of my time, despite being rather easy this year.
2. I have felt somewhat shitty for the last few months and finishing a post has become rather difficult. I've started quite a few posts that are now saved in my drafts somewhere, waiting to be finished.

Particularly number 2 this last week or so. I've started two or three posts that have dwindled away into nothingness somewhere in my brain. Maybe it's been my mindset that has created this inability to follow through. I don't know... I'd say that the best I felt in the last week was last night. I was vaporizing by myself in my car (via a power adaptor) and some dj on KALX played The Transit of Earth by Arthur C. Clarke (that's a sci-fi story, for you uneducated) with Clarke reading it. I wasn't happy, but I wasn't sad either. I felt no connection to the world, but rather to the astronaut of the story who was stranded on Mars, recording Earth's alignment with the sun, Mars, and the moon. The character had only a few days of oxygen and was forced to come to terms with his death. The strangest part of the story was that, despite writing it, Clarke read the story with no emotion. That is probably what struck me most. I felt at ease, peaceful. That is what his voice did to me. The character was not afraid of dying, and neither was I.

The Mattresses ep is now fully planned, and partially executed. To be completed within the next two months. Title will be announced (here for the masses) as it nears completion. It is approximately half the length of the album, which was scrapped after too much time in limbo. I needed something to plan and get excited about, and of course it worked. Now all I can think about are the transitions.

Maybe I like being alone. I'm talking to Adrian, and that's what he suggested. I think I might agree, not sure...

Sorry for the downer. If you can't handle it, then you should pass on the ep, which is also on the darker side. Music is different than whining though... so maybe you could reconsider. It is free, after all. (Except for copies with artwork.)

No comments: